CORE VALUES, BELIEFS, AND LEARNING EXPECTATIONS
The Marine Science Magnet High School of Southeastern Connecticut is a safe, respectful and nurturing environment. Our professional learning community is committed to 21st century instruction that promotes effort and ensures academic rigor through a challenging curriculum responsive to the diverse interests of a broad spectrum of students. Furthermore, MSMHS collaborates with all stakeholders to prepare students for higher education and/or marine-related employment by supporting the personal, academic and career goals of every student. We believe that effort creates ability and that all students will succeed. We provide students with the opportunities to develop the skills and character needed to be active and responsible citizens in a global community.
The Marine Science Magnet High School community has identified the following learning expectations for all students:
1. Read and write effectively for a variety of purposes;
2. Speak effectively with a variety of audiences in an accountable manner;
3. Employ mathematical problem-solving skills effectively;
4. Apply scientific knowledge and concepts to a variety of investigative tasks;
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the essential concepts within the field of marine science;
6. Use technology responsibly to create, research, synthesize, and communicate information fluently;
7. Make decisions and solve problems in independent and collaborative settings;
Civic and Social Competencies:
8. Take responsibility for his/her own learning and behavior;
9. Value human, cultural, and natural diversity;
10. Meet their civic responsibilities to society and the natural environment.